Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tipsy Pots Tuitorial

I've made a couple of the "Tipsy Pots" now and I'll share with y'all what I've learned...

I actually saw the tipsy pots set up in my local home improvement store. They were selling a kit with a plastic rod and stand for $15.

I just choose to go a different route.

Here are the supplies that I used-

Pots (I used a 14" pot for the base and (4) 8" pots for the rest)

Potting soil (I bought a 2 cubic foot bag and used just over half of it)

Flowers (or herbs...whatever your little heart desires)

1/2" piece of steel conduit (you can use rebar too) This needs to be at least 6 feet tall)

Gotta love flowers!

I think the bag of potting soil cost me about 10 bucks at WallyMart.

Now here is the deal with the pots...

Not all pots are created equal.

If you are using the 1/2" conduit then you will need pots with a drainage hole of 1".

The ones that I bought from Walmart had drainage holes that were much smaller then the ones that I bought elsewhere.

So...

You can fix this either by using a smaller rod, like rebar OR use a grinder tool to enlarge the drainage holes.

If your drainage holes are not big enough in proportion to your metal rod, then the pots will not be able to tip enough to give you the whole "tipsy" look.

I chose the 1/2" steel conduit in a 10 foot length.

The conduit didn't even cost $2 for the entire piece.

Choose the spot for your pots (Ha! That almost rhymes).

You won't be able to move them once they are assembled.

Even up the ground so your bottom pot has a flat surface to sit on.

Take your metal rod and start pounding it into the ground.

Just be sure that there isn't any pesky pipes or natural gas lines where you are planning on putting your metal rod. Just sayin...

If you have purchased the same size pots as I did then you will need 44" left above ground on which to assemble your pots.

If you are using the conduit then it may squish down on the top when you are hammering it down into the ground.

See the little squishy part of the conduit?

We had to take a hacksaw and cut it off.

Otherwise it wouldn't have fit through the drainage holes on the pots.

Here is my conduit, hammered way down into the ground.

We have cut off the little squished down part on the top.

From the ground to the top of my rod measures 44".

Thread the rod through the bottom of your biggest pot and place it on the ground.

Fill it most of the way up with potting soil.

Be sure and put enough soil so that when you put the next pot in, it doesn't sink way down in the big pot.

Take one of your smaller pots and thread it through the metal rod.

Tip it to the side and set it down on top of the potting soil that you just placed in the big pot.

As you can see in the picture, this smaller pot will not be resting on the side of the bottom pot. The metal rod will prevent it from tipping that far.

That is totally okie dookie.

Place potting soil in the pot, leaving room for your plants.

Take your next pot and thread it through the metal rod.

The bottom of this pot will sit on the edge of the pot just underneath it.

Put potting soil in that pot too.

Then repeat the last step with your next pot.

Lather, rinse and repeat with the last pot.

Your tipsy pots should now look like this.

See how the top of the rod is just the right height?

Plant your flowers...

Water...

And enjoy!


Use your imagination!

You can use other items besides pots...

Other plants besides flowers...

Ahhhh...the possibilities!

Linking to these great parties.

55 comments:

One Life Many Journeys said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I couldn't figure this one out. I will be making one though.

Nicole said...

Thanks for this!! Wow I love it!! That is so creative and such a cool idea. I love the look of having pots tipsy turvy, so pretty. We have a little terrace that I'm thinking of doing this with now...following you from tickled pink!

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

Thanks for the tutorial--I was wondering how you made tone of these! Love the group shot of your nine ... very cool.

Mindi Hoellein said...

Just so you know: That is freaking AWESOME! Definitely going to do this! Thanks so much! :o)

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

How fun! It looks like something from Dr. Seuss! :)

Unknown said...

Now, that's just the coolest thing ever! Thanks for sharing.

Embellished Bayou said...

I have seen these in stores & didn't want to pay the $20+ price tag. Good to know there's a cheaper way! Thanks for sharing, it looks great.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Love these! Your tutorial and tips are wonderful - Thanks so much for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Suzanne said...

Thanks you so much I've seen these and wondered how the heck they did it. I've got to do it now.

Unknown said...

That is SOOOO AWESOME!!! I think I may be trying that!! and I think I know JUST the place to put it!! Thank You for Sharing!!

http://coutureunraveled.blogspot.com/

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Oh wow. This is the best tutorial yet. Fab pictures! And the outcome is so adorable!

Donna

The House Creative said...

Very creative! Love it. I might make one of these for my garden!

Mom in High Heels said...

Fantastic. My local garden store sells something like this for 99 Euro (about $125)! I'm totally going to have to make one. Thanks for the tutorial.

Debbiedoos said...

What a cute idea, I love it!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Love this tutorial! I'll make one to! Thank you for sharing!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I've always admired this idea! Thanks for the insight on putting one together! Great job!

Sharon@Keen Inspirations said...

Hi there! I found you SNS. The tipsy pots caught my attention right away 'cuz Ihave some too! They are fun to make and look so good when they are finished, super easy too...my kind of project I'm also a M.O.M. I have 10, but only 5 are still "at home". They grow up way too fast!
When you have a minute, you can see my tipsies here: http://keeninspirations.blogspot.com/2010/05/tipsy-pot-planter.html
and http://keeninspirations.blogspot.com/2010/06/not-miss-bells-sweet-tea.html
Please stop by when you have a minute and I'd love to have you bring your tipsy planter and join me for my garden party!
Enjoy your weekend!
Sharon@Keeninspirations

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Becky,
I will have to save this link now, because this is even better than the one I always recommend! Great tutorial. And I still love your door more than mine! :)
Rose

Katie said...

Thanks for the tutorial...I'm totally going to copy you. One of these days.

Cecily said...

Totally brilliant! Love it and will definitely be making use of the idea. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea!! It's so simple, yet I've never seen it before and would've never thought of it myself. It looks beautiful filled with your plants, and I LOVE that old door in the background.
My goodness...nine kids!! You deserve and award, a medal...something! My hat's off to you. You should have a TV show or something! :)
Hope you're having a great weekend!

~ Jo

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Oooh-La-La!! I love this idea. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. I'm bookmarking this for my someday when I have time & a house to call mine LIST. :)

Blessings,
Sarah

Heather said...

This is so fun! Love how different it is. Please come link up at our Fabulous Friday linky party on our blog! It closes Monday night.
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

Donene said...

This is Oh, so cute! I love the topsy turvy look!!

Unknown said...

Cute, I love this and would never have figured it out on my own. I am going to have to try it as soon as I figure out where.

Lizzy @ Lizzy Designs said...

Very funky, I like it! Well done. :)

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Great idea...should look fabulous when the flowers take over...well done

Allison Shops said...

Funky idea - love it! Thanks for the tutorial.
Nine kids; I don't know how you do it!
Love your header.
Dropping by from Met Monday; 18ft Island Kitchen.

Allison
Atticmag

Smocking with Gwen said...

Thanks for sharing your tutorial....a neighbor of my daughter's bought the "kit" at the Nashville Garden Show this spring and I've wanted to do it ever since I saw hers. She even has one that hangs from her deck...not sure as to the details on that one. I would think it would be really heavy.
Gwen

L Simonson said...

LOVE it!

Lori @ live,laugh,love,create :)

Anne said...

This is so awesome! I am totally doing this! YAYAYAYAY!

Anonymous said...

what an ultra cute project! thanks for your instructions ☺

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

this is just too cool. thanks for sharing your steps! and nine kids?! you are definitely a brave one :)

Cap Creations said...

Great job on this! And i love the old door in the background.

Megan said...

LOVE IT!! Thanks for the tutorial. I would never have figured it out. Off to Lowes and then back out in the yard. (:0)

Stitchnmom said...

What a great idea. When I saw the feature at Someday Crafts I was trying to come up with how you got them connected together. I didn't even come close.

seven thirty three said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I feature this on Someday Crafts today! It is amazing!

Somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Camie at "Home is where they love you" said...

This is awesome! I love it!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I saw this just yesterday in I think Lowes magazine & I loved it. I'm going to have to try one.

asnipofgoodness said...

I totally love this, so charming! Just found your site, love it!

Theresa Rhodus said...

Great tutorial! I've been wanting to make one of these and have seen other tutorials but this really gives me the information I need!

Tatiana said...

Great idea! I loved it!

Staci J said...

How cute is that!! Very clever!! Visiting from Boardwalk Bragfest.
justsewsassy.com

Lacey said...

I love this! I am so going to do they with my herbs and maybe even some flowers too! Great idea!

Holly Lefevre said...

This is fabulous! I love the tipsy pot look...it is fresh and different. Thanks for the great tutorial and thanks for linking to Tickled Pink.
Holly
504 Main

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

Hi!! I LOVE it!! I would like to feature your tutorial on my blog and then show my version:) I painted mine with polka dots and added house numbers..I like to give credit where I find my ideas plus you wrote an EXCELLENT tutorial. I would LOVE to share it with my readers. Please let me know if this would be OK with you and stop and get a I've been featured button! http://www.girlinair.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Visiting from "Girl in the Air".

Thank you for letting her post your tutorial! That is a great way to do plants. I live in a high wind area where I can hang flowers, so I am going to try this outside my windows (very sturdily anchored of course, LOL)!

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

I ♥ IT!!! So cute.....I'm going to have to try this thanks.

Ami Allison said...

SO CUTE! I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to try to make this! Thank you for posting this wonderful tutorial! :)

BITOKA RUBRA ARTES said...

PARABÉNS!!!!!!!!!!!!ADOREI SUA SUGESTÃO...VOU FAZER TAMBÉM...OBREIGADA... ETÉLIA ....SOU DO RIO DE JANEIRO - BRASIL.....UM ABRAÇO...

BITOKA RUBRA ARTES said...

OLA AMIGOS...COMO VÃO????OLHA GOSTEI TANTO DESSA IDEIA QUE ESTOU FALANDO PRA MUITA GENTE...OBRIGADA POR NOS ENSINAR...COM CERTEZA FAREI NO MEU JARDIM...ASSIM QUE FIZER TE ENVIAREI A FOTO....MUITOS BEIJOS...

Lovin'Life said...

Can't wait to use it for our herb garden! Thank you!!!

nicnacnoo said...

Can't wait to try this with the kiddies! They'll love this. Think we'll try tomatoes. So many varieties!!! Watch this space :-)

Autumn said...

Thank you for the tutorial! We are doing ornamental horticulture demonstrations in class and I took a very strong liking to this little garden!

Autumn said...

Thank you for the tutorial! We are doing ornamental horticulture demonstrations in class and I took a very strong liking to this little garden!